All these posts are scattered about the blog, but it’s nice to be able to find them all in one place without having to poke around too much. If you’re looking for help with the writing section of the SAT, this should be a great start.
Please note that this content is far from exhaustive, and that I tend not to use arcane grammar terms if you won’t need to be conversant with them on the SAT. In other words, if you’re looking for talk about subjunctives, gerunds, and the like, you should look elsewhere. You don’t need to know what any of those words mean to get an 800 on the writing section, so I leave them alone.
This stuff is the backbone of what you need to know to tear the SAT writing section limb from limb. Dig in.
- Error Identification Strategies
- Sentence Improvement Strategies
- Paragraph Improvement Strategies
- One way to write a good essay
- The essay star system
- Development and support of point of view
- Organization and focus
- Some essay DOs and DON’Ts
- Some additional notes about the essay
- My own 2007 essay in which I only sorta followed my own advice
Peter Peng’s essay series